Re: st: Strange Behaviour When Selecting Levels For Factor Variables In Regression With i#

From   Sarah Elizabeth Edgington <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Strange Behaviour When Selecting Levels For Factor Variables In Regression With i#
Date   Fri, 18 Jan 2013 22:12:53 -0800

I share Daniel's confusion and this explanation doesn't make it any clearer to me. If sex were not a binary variable then the other coefficients changing would make sense because the different regressions would actually be changing how sex is coded. However, with a variable that's coded 0/1 to begin with, isn't i.sex the equivalent of i1.sex? That is, isn't an indicator for when sex=1 exactly the same variable as the original sex variable? In which case you'd expect the first two regression examples to be exactly the same. The fact that they aren't suggests to me that there's something I don't understand about the i1.sex factor variable syntax. What am I missing?

-Sarah