st: Re: Generating correlated data with some unspecified correlations

From   Andreas Baumann <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Generating correlated data with some unspecified correlations
Date   Fri, 18 Jan 2013 17:55:28 +0100

Hi all,

This might be dumb, but I'm at my wit's end. If anyone could help me, it
would be much appreciated.

I'm generating some data using drawnorm for use in a simulation model.
My model consists of six variables (m, f, m_i, f_i, r & r_i).
Some of these variables should be correlated: (m,f), (m,m_i), (f,f_i),
(f,r), (m,r) and (r,r_i).
The purpose is then to ascertain the variability of corr(m_i,r_i) and
corr(f_i,r_i).

However, if I use drawnorm to generate the data, I'm forced to specify the
correlation between these variables - which is exactly what I'm interested
in investigating. So, obviously, that is no good. I was wondering if there
was some way in which I could generate randomly distributed numbers with the
specified correlations without specifying the correlations mentioned above.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Best,
Andreas Baumann