Re: st: sieve function

From   daniel klein <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: sieve function
Date   Fri, 18 Jan 2013 10:32:45 +0100

Stata tells you that it has no such -egen- function. As should be
obvious from my previous post, -sieve()- is not part of official
Stata, but of the user-witten -egenmore- package. My best guess is,
you have not yet installed the -egenmore- package, available from the
SSC archive.

Type in Stata

ssc inst egenmore

then try again.

If it still gives the same error message, you have to tell Stata where
to look for _gsieve.ado, as it is obviously not in the place it should
be, or Stata is looking in wrong place. Type

sysdir

look for the codeword PLUS. The path given is where Stata looks for
user-written files. Either chage this path to where _gsieve.ado is
located on your machine, or move _gsieve.ado to the path given by
-sysdir-.

Best
Daniel

--
I am using the sieve command in stata 12.1 - *egen nserial=
sieve(serialno), char(0123456789)* but it gives me an error