Re: st: vce(analytic) for proportions-- what is it exactly?

From   "Tamer Farag" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: vce(analytic) for proportions-- what is it exactly?
Date   Thu, 17 Jan 2013 15:09:33 -0500

Steve, nevertheless, thank you kindly for clearing this up, and for generously adding the references.  Makes total sense now.  This is my first time using statalist (though I have been reading the archives for years) and I am very grateful for your quick and very useful response.

Many thanks,
Tamer

>>> Steve Samuels <[email protected]> 1/17/2013 2:08 PM >>>
I apologize: you were looking at the _right_ command, but the wrong -help-.

Steve

Tamer,

You are looking at the wrong commands and, therefore, the wrong -help-.

If you have survey data, you must first run -svyset- and then use
Stata's survey commands, such as -svy: proportion-. The default vce
option for -svyset- is vce(linearized), also known as Taylor
linearized.. Formulas are contained in Stata's Survey Manual or in
any sampling text. (My favorite is Sharon Lohr, 2009. Sampling: Design
and Analysis. Boston, MA: Cengage Brooks/Cole.)

What are standard errors based on vce(analytic) in (non-survey)
-proportion-? In the absence of weights or clusters, they are the
formulas found in introductory texts: se = sqrt of
P(1-P)/n. For a complex survey design (multiple stages, strata,
weights), this formula would be quite wrong.

Steve

Steven Samuels
Consulting Statistician
18 Cantine's Island