Re: st: set obs by level (of multiple variables)?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: set obs by level (of multiple variables)?
Date   Thu, 17 Jan 2013 15:53:29 +0000

The syntax diagram for -set- does not indicate support for -by:- and

1. Whatever is not permitted should be considered forbidden.

2. Less gnomically, there is a really good reason for this. In
essence, -set- is about global settings, and even if what you are
asking for makes sense -- as it does here -- -set- and -by:- don't mix
naturally.

See help for -expand-, -expandcl-, -expandby- (SSC).

bysort stage sex : gen last = _n == _N
expand 2 if last
sort stage sex
... if last