Re: st: How to identify multiple substrings within a string

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to identify multiple substrings within a string
Date   Wed, 16 Jan 2013 23:31:40 +0000

Note that as in elementary algebra a check lies in your own hands: you
can check that each ( is matched by a ) and each [ by a ].

Also the last commands start

gen ...

tab ...

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:34 PM, ToveLysa Fitzgerald
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I seem to be having difficulty with the code below.
> When I run the code I am getting the error message "too many ')' or ']'"
> When I try to alter the brackets I get the error message "type mismatch"
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ryan Kessler

> input str50 string
> "diarrhoea"
> "nil diarrhoea"
> "no vomiting/diarrhoea"
> "no text text text text vomiting/diarrhoea"
> "denies diarrhoea/vomiting"
> end
>
> gen nodi = (regexm(lower(string), "(nil |no |denies )(.*)(diarrhoea)") & length(regexs(2)) <= 10) tab nodi
>
> Change the 10 as you see fit.

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 4:36 PM, ToveLysa Fitzgerald
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Thank you, that piece of code picked up nil/no/denies cases but it also picked up some cases where nil/no/denies was completely irrelevant to the term diarrhoea as these terms preceeded a large amount of text prior to the occurrence of diarrhoea. Is there any way you can refine the code to limit the number of characters/spaces that occur between the terms nil/no/denies and diarrhoea?

Ryan Kessler