Re: st: st: Stata coding to SAS

Subject   Re: st: st: Stata coding to SAS
Date   Wed, 16 Jan 2013 12:17:24 -0500

I agree with Stas's diagnosis.

Statum h:  n_h subjects N_h population total

In Stata: post weights are N_h, but normalized are: N_h/n_h, so sum to
N_h in the stratum

In SAS: probability weights are N_h, so sum to n_h x N_h in the stratum.

To get corresponding weights in SAS, KC could create "probability
weights" for SAS as wt_h = N_h/n_h.

But post-strata are technically subpopulations (also known as "domains"), so,
depending on sample size, the standard errors given by SAS could  be
wrong. There's also a question of whether reference groups are the same for
the predictor with reference group "3" in SAS.

KC specifies a subpopulation "european" in his analyses.
Post-stratifying with a subpopulation can give poor results if
population and subpopulation stratum proportions are very different. In
such a case KC could be better off not post-stratifying.KC's sample
might not have been drawn SRS, so that even Stata might not be giving
proper standard errors. All in all, I'd like to see more information and the
results as I requested.

Steven Samuels
Consulting Statistician
18 Cantine's Island