Re: st: Trend Regression Coefficients of Ordinal Predictor

From   Karman Tandon <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Trend Regression Coefficients of Ordinal Predictor
Date   Tue, 15 Jan 2013 10:15:35 -0500

Hi Billy & the rest of Statalist,

In many papers, a continuous variable will be regressed across
quintiles of another variable, resulting in a beta coefficient for
each level of the predictor variable. Then, the authors will write a
"p for trend" to show that the beta coefficients are significantly
trending as the levels of the predictor variable increase or decrease.
What does "p for trend" mean statistically, and how can I arrive at a
"p for trend" using Stata?

Here is an example of the above in a table from a journal article in
Cancer Epidemiology, that anyone should be able to access:
http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/14/12/2881/T3.expansion.html

Thanks!
Karman Tandon

PS this is my first post, so please forgive any mistakes