st: Low varability in dependent as a reason for period differing regression results?

From   "Birk Teuchert" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Low varability in dependent as a reason for period differing regression results?
Date   Tue, 15 Jan 2013 13:00:43 +0100

Dear Statalist community,

I have problems identifying the reasons for the differing results for 2 different time periods (the general regression equation is the same for both periods) i would like to do my analysis seperatly with.
How can I identify possible reasons for the differing results?

I had a look at the descriptives and indeed I noticed that mean (10 times higher) and SD (4 times hihger) of my dependent is a lot higher for one time period which results in an R2 of 30% compared to 4% in the other time period.

Is this difference in the distribution of the dependent variable enough to explain the different results or how do I identify possible other explanations??

Thanks a lot for hints and advices

Jonas