Re: st: question: an example of xtmixed: testing differences between groups at specific times

From   Joerg Luedicke <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: question: an example of xtmixed: testing differences between groups at specific times
Date   Mon, 14 Jan 2013 15:05:11 -0500

You should do all testing on transformed scale. As for marginal
predictions, retransformation can be quite awkward with such nonlinear
transformations. Have a look at, for example,

Willard G. Manning, The logged dependent variable, heteroscedasticity,
and the retransformation problem, Journal of Health Economics, Volume
17, Issue 3, June 1998, Pages 283-295, ISSN 0167-6296,
10.1016/S0167-6296(98)00025-3.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167629698000253)

Willard G Manning, John Mullahy, Estimating log models: to transform
or not to transform?, Journal of Health Economics, Volume 20, Issue 4,
July 2001, Pages 461-494, ISSN 0167-6296,
10.1016/S0167-6296(01)00086-8.
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167629601000868)

Cox, Nicholas J., Warburton, Jeff, Armstrong, Alona, Holliday,
Victoria J.,  Fitting concentration and load rating curves with
generalized linear models. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms
33(1), 2008: 25-39
(http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/esp.1523)

for general takes on the issue. The issue should further be
complicated in the multilevel context where you have more than one
error term. However, I can't think of a paper/book right now that is
discussing these issues for multilevel models. In the vein of the
above mentioned paper by Nick Cox and colleagues, you could perhaps
consider a generalized multilevel model with a log link, which you
could do with -gllamm- (from SSC). If you are not specifically
interested in estimating the variances for your varying intercepts and
slopes, and if following the GLM approach would be an option for you,
then using population averaged models (GEE) may be the easiest
solution here (-help xtgee-).

Joerg