RE: Re: st: problem with the interpretation of pstest after psmatch2, t-tests and percentage of bias provide conflicting results, which one should I follow?

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: Re: st: problem with the interpretation of pstest after psmatch2, t-tests and percentage of bias provide conflicting results, which one should I follow?
Date   Mon, 14 Jan 2013 10:03:16 -0500

Simone,

Adam gave you good advice and pointed you to a good article that discusses
why you shouldn't use t-tests for testing covariate balance. Rather than
re-asking the same question, perhaps you should read the article and learn
why t-tests are not a good measure of balance (hint: we are not making
inferences, and sample size can affect the results), whereas standardized
differences, variance ratios, and a whole host of graphic plots (q-q plots,
box plots, kernel density plots, etc.) are more suitable.

You will likely not be asking this question again, once you've done your
homework.

Additional suggested reading (a few among hundreds of articles):

Caliendo M, Kopeinig S. Some practical guidance for the implementation of
propensity score matching. Journal of Economic Surveys 2008;22:31-

Stuart EA. Matching methods for causal inference: a review and a look
forward. Statistical Science 2010;25(1):1-21.

Flury BK, Reidwyl H. Standard distance in univariate and multivariate
analysis. The American Statistician 1986;40:249-251

Rubin DB. Using propensity scores to help design observational studies:
Application to the tobacco litigation. Health Services & Outcomes Research
Methodology 2001;2:169-188.

Iacus SM, King G, Porro G. Multivariate matching methods that are monotonic
imbalance bounding. Journal of the American Statistical Association
2011;106:345-361.

Ariel