RE: st: Mixed effects model with zero-inflated negative binomial outcome for repeated measures data

From   Robert Long <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Mixed effects model with zero-inflated negative binomial outcome for repeated measures data
Date   Mon, 14 Jan 2013 10:18:39 +0000

Thanks again ! I have Skrondal. & Rabe-Hesketh in the office so I will check it today.

As for which parameter estimates are needed, I don't /need/ the NG dispersion parameter and the zero inflation parameter - only as a means for fitting ZINB as the outcome, but as far as I understand they must be estimated in order to fit ZINB. As for clustering, the data are repeated measures on around 100 subjects. The random intercept and slope variance are not of primary interest in themselves - interest is centered on the interactions between time and 2 covariates - but of course it would not be right to ignore the clustering by subject. I think it is possible to leave out the random slopes, but not the random intercepts.

For completeness, here is the model current specification again in R

glmmadmb(Y ~ time*X1 + time*X2 + (time | Subject),
	data=final,family="nbinom2", zeroInflation=TRUE)

Best regards
Robert Long

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of W Robert Long
Sent: 13 January 2013 16:05
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Mixed effects model with zero-inflated negative binomial outcome for repeated measures data

Thank you.

I did, however, have the impression that -gllamm- does not support the negative binomial distribution ?

I have looked through the http://www.gllamm.org/examples.html page and I didn't see any mention of zero-inflation. I also looked through the review article http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cmm/learning/mmsoftware/reviewgllamm.pdf and didn't find it mentioned there either.....

Do you have any reference, or other information, about the possible collinearity problem ?  I assume this refers to correlation of random effects in the binomial probabilities part and the mixture-model part ?
It would, of course, be ideal if it were possible to fix one of these REs to zero, and/or the correlation to zero, but to allow the model to estimate this correlation would also be OK !

Thanks again.

Robert Long