Re: st: RE: summarize by different levels/groups with -egen- ?

From   Patricia Biedermann <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: summarize by different levels/groups with -egen- ?
Date   Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:39:59 +0100

Hello,
Thank you Lovisa & Nick.
I've tried your commands, but it seems not to work out the way I want
to have it. (pathogen is a string variable).

The issue is that, when I creat the dummy variable in the end (as
described by Lovisa) I will get for each H in one class a "1". When I
further summarize it, I have the total amount of H. But I want to have
a total amount of classes, who are affected with H (regardless how
many children itself were affected by the pathogen).

e.g.
Class         Pathogen
A1                H
A1                S
A1                T
A2                S
A2                K
A3                H
A3                D
B1                H
B1                S                  0

Finally --> 3 (out of 4) classes are affected by "H". (I don't care
about how many individuals in one class!).

Maybe I've to think about it and approach it differently.
Cheers.