Re: st: RE: summarize by different levels/groups with -egen- ?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: summarize by different levels/groups with -egen- ?
Date   Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:46:17 +0000

You don't need a dummy or indicator variable. Assuming that -pathogen-
is a string variable,

... mean(pathogen == "H")

will work fine as the -mean()- function of -egen- takes expressions.
If it's a numeric variable, the same principle applies, but you need a
different expression.

Nick

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Lovisa Persson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> First create a dummy variable for each pathogen, pathogeni.
> Then generate the mean for each class and each pathogen(i) by writing:
>
> egen meanpathogeni=mean(pathogeni), by(class)
>
> every class that now has a certain pathogen in it will have a value of
> meanpathogeni higher than zero, and every class that do not have a certain
> pathogen in it will have a value of zero.
> The observation value will be the same within classes, which is the mean
> number of the pathogen in this class.
>
> So now you generate a new dummy variable that equals 1 if the value of
> meanpathogeni is higher than one.
> Now each class will have the same observation value which will be 1 or 0
> depending on whether this class had at least one observation of this
> particular pathogen in it.

Patricia Biedermann