RE: st: Coefficient Constraints as Counterfactuals

From   Matthew C Mahutga <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Coefficient Constraints as Counterfactuals
Date   Fri, 11 Jan 2013 00:11:06 +0000

Got it; thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:06 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Coefficient Constraints as Counterfactuals

Suppose your model is

y = b_0 + b_1 x_1 + b_2 x_2

but for some reason you consider b_2 known (say 42). Then

y = b_0 + b_1 x_1 + 42 x_2

Then it is also true that

y - 42 x_2 = b_0 + b_1 x_1

and we form

y - 42 x_2 = y* (say)

and regress y* on x_1 to get estimates of b_0 and b_1. Clearly there is an assumption in there about zero average errors.

y - 42 would make no sense if only on dimensional grounds. (It seems common that people in many fields of statistical science don't use dimensional thinking: see http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-10/msg00811.html for a recommendation of a paper by David Finney (1917-  ).)

Nick