Re: st: backward incompatibility of -normden- for -normalden-

From   annoporci <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: backward incompatibility of -normden- for -normalden-
Date   Thu, 10 Jan 2013 16:57:30 +0800

Nick wrote:
-normden()- is a function, not a command.

Ah yes, sorry about the mix-up.

As you say, it's the old name, and that's documented. See
http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?normden()

My mistake, I usually google "stata help keyword" or type in "help
keyword" in Stata. As it happens, Google did not show the page you link
to on its first result page. And Stata's own result is a link to
-normalden()- where there is no mention of -normden()- at all.

However, Google does bring this page up near the top:
http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?version

where, had I looked carefully, I would have read:

If you set version to less than 10
[...]
Functions norm(), normd(), normden(), invnorm(), and lnfact(),
which were renamed in Stata 9, are allowed. The corresponding
              modern functions are normal(), normalden(), normalden(),
              invnormal(), and lnfactorial().

So I think here my poor help search skills are partly to blame.

Thanks Nick for these clarifications,

--
Patrick Toche.