st: Graph with an additional feature/dimension

From   "Patrick J. Flaherty" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Graph with an additional feature/dimension
Date   Mon, 7 Jan 2013 23:42:07 -0500

The Wall Street Journal published this graph on Saturday and I am trying to replicate it with my Connecticut data.

http://bit.ly/wsjjobs2012

I am able to get the bars to be different colors based on value by creating one data series for positive numbers and another for negative values (for each industry, each year has either a positive value and a missing negative value, or a missing positive value and a negative value). This isn't hard to do but perhaps there is a more elegant solution.

Where I am stumped is the quarter circle on the bottom right of each graph sized according to the level of employment in the industry. Obviously it would be easy to create a pie chart showing the proportions of employment by industry and then the set of bar charts showing annual growth, but, in my view, it looks nice having all that information in one display.

Patrick J. Flaherty
Economist
Office of Research
Connecticut Department of Labor