Re: st: Stata 13 wishlist

Subject   Re: st: Stata 13 wishlist
Date   Fri, 04 Jan 2013 15:32:27 -0500

At 02:39 PM 1/4/2013, Jeph Herrin wrote:
Factor variables: tables which include factor variables should use value labels (if they exist) to label the factors.

My wish too. There are no doubt practical problems involved, e.g. in the output from margins how are you going to fit 5 or 10 value labels on one line? But it seems like it could be doable with something like regress. If nothing else, maybe have some sort of legend that includes the codes and value labels. In fairness the output as is still looks a lot better than what you got with the -xi- prefix.

Often, I avoid using factor variables in models because the resulting output can be difficult to read. For instance, if -country- is an integer variable with labels denoting countries,

 regress y i.country

produces a table with a list of numbers for covariate names instead of the corresponding names of the countries. This has to be remapped manually back to the labels (right?). So I often generate my own dummies on the fly just so I can easily read (and share) the output.

Notably, I have to rerun with factor variables if I want to use -margins- afterwards, which indicates perhaps another feature that could be added to Stata 13.

cheers,
Jeph