st: Stata 13 wishlist

From   Doug Hess <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Stata 13 wishlist
Date   Thu, 3 Jan 2013 10:20:50 -0500

I'll jump on the wishlist bandwagon. Something like these may already
exist and I'm ignorant of that fact. Also, knowing that some things
may not be in the cards (well, it is a "wish" list), these could be a
pipe dream:

1. If we have a graph editor, how about a table editor? Perhaps a big
change, but instead of user-written commands for exporting nice
tables, how about a command that spits out the results in a new screen
(as with graphs) that can be edited and tweaked, including
macro-recordings, etc.? The result can then be exported as excel, etc.
or as an image file or pdf.

2. Better multi-level modeling options. Currently, Stata takes a
loooong time to process these models if the sample size and model
complexity are moderate or above.

3. Datasets are growing in size rapidly (e.g., each year comes with a
new set of responses for national annual health surveys...the richness
these files provide is exciting). The ability to analyze large files
with moderately complex models seems to be a weakness in Stata, in my
opinion.

4. Machine learning. It's the future and the future is here. :)

Douglas R. Hess, PhD
Washington, DC