Re: st: xlabel questions in graph bar options.

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: xlabel questions in graph bar options.
Date   Wed, 2 Jan 2013 19:10:36 +0000

Our World Bank colleagues must speak for themselves, but I have heard
presentations of their work and I don't think they ever promised to
document the details of their code. Indeed, if I recall correctly the
main thrust of what they doing includes protecting inexperienced users
from _any_ Stata details!

More importantly, I don't think the colleagues you name are members of
Statalist, so you are best advised to email them directly.

It's my understanding that the existence of value labels makes
absolutely no difference to the ordering of categories of a numeric
variable on a graph. Manifestly we can't check your data but if what
you are asserting is true, you should be able to reproduce it with
standard datasets.

If you are implying that the problematic graphs come out of the Adept
software, it seems to me that again you need to contact the authors.

Now that you have explained your problem in more detail I see even
less point in looking at -file- for this purpose. I corrected myself
from saying that -file- is inapplicable to graph files because Stata
graph files are just text files and -file- _could_ be used to process
Stata graph files. But the principle buys you nothing here in
practice: what you need is to translate .gph files to some other
format that Excel can understand, and that is already gone by -graph
export-.

You can highlight specific categories using the Graph Editor.

Nick