Re: st: Moderation effect by splitting the sample

From   Rebecca Pope <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Moderation effect by splitting the sample
Date   Wed, 2 Jan 2013 10:33:23 -0600

Thanks David. Sorry for the delay responding. I've been away for the holidays.

Your earlier post is missing from my inbox. All I have is the chain
with Maarten's response. I went back and read the archives for context
on your response to my query, but I appreciate you reposting the
paper.

I see the value of using the graphs presented for conveying
information to non-technical audiences. I'm still not convinced after
reading this paper that discretizing a continuous regressor is a good
idea when conducting inferential analysis. Reading your earlier posts,
the ones you cited, and the subtext of the paper, I am left with the
impression that this is the general consensus.

I'm going to rephrase my original question to my intent rather than
what it strictly said:
Is there any econometric (or statistical if you prefer) reason to
choose to conduct a "split" analysis unless you have natural groups
and a strong theoretical reason to not force equality in their
variances?

Thanks,
Rebecca