st: Missing value problem - At a loss and grateful for any suggestions pls

From   Mag K <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Missing value problem - At a loss and grateful for any suggestions pls
Date   Thu, 27 Dec 2012 16:35:33 -0800

Hi
So sorry for resending the email. My earlier mail was not formatted properly.

 I have a dataset for children and parents and would need ro run a
 probit model on child school attendance(binary dependent variable)
 with the parents education, age, sex etc as independent variable. If I
 have observations where there is only one parent in the household I
 can't seem to run the probit properly. Here is an example

ID             Child school     Father's edu(in yrs)     Mother's edu(in years)

1                      1                           5
           2
 2                     1                           4
           3
 3                     1                           2
           7
 4                     0                           5
           -
 5                     1                           -
           3

In the above example, if I run a probit

probit child_school    father_edu    mother_edu

on the 5 observations where the first 3 households have both parents
 and the 4th household only has the father and the 5th household only
 has the mother, stata drops the 4th and 5th observation because of the
 missing value. How do I get stata to consider running all the 5
 observations for analysis of 2 parent household and single parent
 household. Do I use a dummy variable or something.

Grateful for any suggestions. Thanks

Mag