st: recoding question

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <>
To   "<>" <>
Subject   st: recoding question
Date   Mon, 24 Dec 2012 16:13:37 +0000

I have a string variable with codes
Markedly Improved
Markedly Worse
Moderately Improved
Moderately Worse
Slightly Improved
Slightly Worse

I want to convert these to a numeric variable, but ordered in terms of improvement.  I was looking for a way to do this easily in one step, but didn't find a simple command like encode or recode.  I ended up using encode to get the variables numeric and then recoding them.
Is there a simple way to do this?   For seven categories it's no big deal, but if I had 20 categories and needed to do this repeatedly, it would be a pain.
Another option would be to prefix a numeral for the codes but that seems clumsy...

Peter A. Lachenbruch,
Professor (retired)