st: recode foreach with sysmis versus dot

From   annoporci <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: recode foreach with sysmis versus dot
Date   Mon, 24 Dec 2012 20:53:09 +0800

Dear Statalist,

My question here is pure curiosity as I have found a workaround. No urgency.

In a dataset I have, I need to replace zeros with "missing" for all variables in the dataset.

A recent statalist exchange suggested the use of recode with a foreach loop. That suggestion was to turn a missing value into zeros --- the reverse of what I'm after --- so I tried to adapt the suggestion:

recode myvar (mis = 0)

The reverse:

recode myvar (0 = mis)

But that and other similar attempts failed. The "dot" sysmiss approach worked, so that's what I'm using now:

recode myvar (0 = .)

 use auto,clear
 local variables rep78
 foreach var of varlist `variables'{