Re: Re: st: plot confidence intervals with time series

From   Christopher Baum <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: Re: st: plot confidence intervals with time series
Date   Sun, 23 Dec 2012 13:05:48 +0000

On Dec 23, 2012, at 2:33 AM,Patrick wrote:

> ... though having to add ,xlab(,format(%td)) kills the simplicity of the
> lfitci approach, so I think I'll stay with my second attempt, where I can
> also control the significance level.
> The data has high kurtosis so I'm thinking of using something other than
> the t-distribution for the confidence intervals, does that make sense? I'm
> thinking of replacing invttail with some other inverse tail, does it make
> any sense?

Well, help tw lfitci reveals that there is a level() option, so that is not an issue.

It is not obvious to me that kurtosis in the data carries over to the distribution of the beta-hats in your regression model,
which are after all asy normal, The finite-sample CI uses the t distribution, which assumes symmetry, but allows for greater kurtosis
than would z-scores.

                             An Introduction to Stata Programming  |