Re: st: RE: RE: A math question

From   Yuval Arbel <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: A math question
Date   Fri, 21 Dec 2012 08:26:51 -0800

I address you to my previous response regarding the LAD estimator. It
seems from Johnston that the median is obtained if we minimize the
absolute value of the random disturbance term.

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 8:09 AM, CJ Lan <[email protected]> wrote:
> What happens is the following:
>
> Recall the Huber weighting functions in the robust estimator is defined as (k= tuning constant and sigma is the robust estimate of the "scale" used to standardize the errors)
> w=1, if |e|<=k*sigma
> w=k*sigma/|e|, if |e|>k*sigma
>
> Sigma (aka scale) in several software including Stata (I believe) is defaulted as MAE/norminv(0.75), where MAE = median of absolute errors = median{|ei|, i=1,...,n}.  n=no. of data points.  "Norminv" is the inverse of standard normal fun.
> e = estimation error = y - u(b,x).
>
> Now, what I try to do is to compute the derivative as well as Hessian of the weights, w, with respect to the parameters b.  Both Sigma and errors are a function of b.
>
> I am stuck at taking derivative of the Sigma wrt b, because it involves with the "median".

Dr. Yuval Arbel
School of Business
Carmel Academic Center
4 Shaar Palmer Street,