st: RE: Moderation effect by splitting the sample

From   "David Radwin" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Moderation effect by splitting the sample
Date   Thu, 20 Dec 2012 11:50:45 -0800 (PST)

I can't say for sure without knowing more about what you are trying to do,
but regarding splitting continuous variables, see this post and the
references therein:

If you do split the variable anyway, consider comparing upper and lower
terciles or quartiles (and not the upper and lower halves as a previous
email intimated) to minimize loss of efficiency:

Gelman, A., & Park, D. K. (2009). Splitting a predictor at the upper
quarter or third and the lower quarter or third. The American
Statistician, 63(1), 1-8.

David Radwin
Senior Research Associate
MPR Associates, Inc.