RE: st: Preserve Variable Labels After Reshape

From   Kieran McCaul <kieran.mccaul@uwa.edu.au>
Subject   RE: st: Preserve Variable Labels After Reshape
Date   Thu, 20 Dec 2012 11:06:29 +0800

local vname:  variable label campus80

reshape ....

label variable campus "`vname'"

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of David Torres
Sent: Thursday, 20 December 2012 10:46 AM
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: RE: st: Preserve Variable Labels After Reshape

Joerg,

What I mean to preserve is the description of the variable stub, in your example the x.  x1 and x2 could both, for instance, be labeled as, let us say, "the x factor."  When I reshape from wide to long, the description of the variable disappears.  I want to simply keep that description, which I thought was called the variable label.