Re: st: ICD10?

From   Rebecca Pope <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ICD10?
Date   Wed, 19 Dec 2012 08:32:50 -0600

Ronan referenced the -icd9- utilities. The best answer to his question
regarding duplicating -icd9- functions will depend on what his student
is hoping to accomplish.

I think I sidelined the discussion by mentioning conversion. There
have been a few posts on the topic of ICD-9 to ICD-10 in the last
years or so and I just read too much into Ronan's post.

That said, Chamara's post brings up another issue though... The link
posted is to the New Zealand ICD-9/10 codes. I am using the ones
distributed by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Per CDC's
National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) "The ICD-9-CM is based on
the ICD but provides for additional morbidity detail and is annually
updated." As noted in -help icd9-, this is the system used by Stata. I
would assume the AM suffix means New Zealand also has their own
modification to suit their health system, but I've not worked with
their codes, so perhaps Chamara can comment on that.

The World Health Organization (WHO), who holds copyright to ICD-9 and
ICD-10, does not endorse any mapping between the two systems. See:
http://www.who.int/classifications/help/icdfaq/en/. But of course,
this hasn't stopped anyone from doing exactly that. Presumably each
country could have their own. The crosswalk files available through
CDC's NCHS, called General Equivalency Mappings, will map the ICD-9-CM
codes in Stata to new ICD-10-CM codes. These files are available here
for the curious
ftp://ftp.cdc.gov/pub/Health_Statistics/NCHS/Publications/ICD10CM/2013

The mapping system is quite complex as some times you really do need
all codes that you map to (it is a "bundle"); other times, you can use
a top-level code to capture the essence of what is presented (e.g. you
have no way of telling from the ICD-9 code whether the patient bled
for 30 minutes or 59, just that it was less than 60). This is the goal
of the conversion command I'm working on, aside from just making it
easier by issuing one line of code instead of many.

Cheers,
Rebecca