Re: st: How to open a .pdf outside Stata with a Stata command

From   Eric Booth <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to open a .pdf outside Stata with a Stata command
Date   Tue, 18 Dec 2012 10:02:50 -0600

<>

On a mac, just write a program that sends the 'open' command to the terminal , so :

cap program drop openmypdf
program define openmypdf
syntax anything
	!open -a Preview.app "`anything'"
end

openmypdf myfile.pdf

would work.  Or make the program more general to any file (which utilizes the default program in the OS to open the file) with something like:

cap program drop openmacfile
program define openmacfile
syntax anything
	!open  "`anything'"
end

openmacfile myfile.docx

or just put the command in your do-file:   !open  "myfile.ext"

P.S. the toy commands you mention to use iTunes, etc. on a mac from Stata are here:  http://www.eric-a-booth.com/Home/software

- Eric
__
[email protected]