st: R: OLS assumptions not met: transformation, gls, or glm as solutions?

From   [email protected]
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: R: OLS assumptions not met: transformation, gls, or glm as solutions?
Date   Mon, 17 Dec 2012 12:09:46 +0100

The first Laura's query is:
1. Keep the model and the variables as they are (but maybe use robust
standard errors) - is this possible under certain conditions, even if I have
heteroskedasticity and non-normality of residuals, and when is this
justified?

Using robust standard errors will not always shelter you for
heteroskedasticity, as you can see from the following (misspecified)
example:
sysuse auto.dta
reg price mpg weight
estat hettest
reg price mpg weight, robust
predict res, residuals
qnorm res, grid
Besides, after invoking -reg y x, robust - Stata rejects (for methodological
reasons) -estat hettest-. Hence, a graphical test (always advisable, anyway)
is a helpful way to go.

Best Regards,
Carlo