Re: st: Aggregating spatial units for SPMAP

From   Robert Picard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Aggregating spatial units for SPMAP
Date   Sun, 16 Dec 2012 15:33:47 -0800

I think I may have a solution. The following program takes a
shapefile and creates new polygons that have the shape of the
outer borders of the adjacent polygons. It builds on the fact
that adjacent polygons have common points along line segments
that are shared. The outer borders are composed of polylines
(connected line segments) that start and end with a shared point
with all in-between points unique to a single polygon. It's a bit
tricky to connect all the outer border polylines, but minimal
testing suggests that the program works.

Let me know if the program works or not in your case. If no
problem is reported, I'll add bells and whistles and write up a
help file and post it to SSC.

Hope this helps, Robert

* --------------------------------------------------------------
version 12
clear all

*! 1.0.0 16dec2012 Robert Picard, [email protected]
program define mergepoly

	args id0 lat0 lon0

	rename `lat0' lat
	rename `lon0' lon

	gen obs = _n

	// create new id in case there are multipart polygons
	gen id = sum(mi(lat,lon))
	sort id obs
	qui by id: drop if _n == 1

	// each polygon should start and end at the same lat/lon
	by id: assert lat[1] == lat[_N]
	by id: assert lon[1] == lon[_N]

	// adjacent polygons have common points
	sort lat lon obs
	by lat lon: gen N = _N

	// identify polylines that form the outside borders;
	// they start and end at common points and have a
	// run of non-adjacent points
	sort id obs
	by id: gen pstart = N > 1 & N[_n+1] == 1
	by id: gen pend = N > 1 & N[_n-1] == 1
	by id: gen inpoly = sum(pstart - pend)
	qui replace inpoly = 1 if pend
	gen polyline = sum(pstart) * inpoly

	// link polylines by grouping coordinates and
	// identifying the next polyline
	sort lat lon pend pstart obs
	by lat lon: egen pp = total(pstart + pend)
	assert pp <= 2
	by lat lon: assert pend if pp == 2 & _n == _N
	by lat lon: assert pstart if pp == 2 & _n == _N - 1
	qui by lat lon: gen next = polyline[_n-1] if _n == _N & pp == 2

	// handle special case of line segments on the outer border;
	// these are not polylines, they just have 2 points and they
	// create a bridge between two polylines.
	sort lat lon pend obs
	by lat lon: gen sameid = id == id[_N]
	sort lat lon pend sameid obs
	qui by lat lon: gen link = obs[1]+1 if pend & pp == 1
	sort lat lon pstart obs
	qui by lat lon: replace link = obs[1] if pstart & pp == 1
	sort pp link pstart pend
	qui by pp link: replace next = polyline[2] if pp == 1 & pend
	qui by pp link: assert _N == 2 if pp == 1 & !mi(link)

	qui keep if polyline
	sort polyline obs
	by polyline: gen one = _n == 1

	// some polylines may be polygons already
	by polyline: gen ispolyline = lat[1] != lat[_N] | lon[1] != lon[_N]
	sort ispolyline polyline obs
	qui gen newpolygon = sum(one) if !ispolyline

	// loop over each polyline in order and build new polygons that
	// follow the outer borders of adjacent polygons
	sum newpolygon, meanonly
	local curpolygon = cond(mi(r(max)), 1, r(max) + 1)
	sum polyline if mi(newpolygon), meanonly
	local nextpl = r(min)
	local more = !mi(r(N))
	local startpline `nextpl'

	qui gen pline_order = .

	local i 0
	while `more' {

		local i = `i' + 1
		qui replace pline_order = `i' if polyline == `nextpl'
		qui replace newpolygon = `curpolygon' if polyline == `nextpl'

		sum next if polyline == `nextpl', meanonly
		if `nextpl' == r(max) local startpline = r(max)
		local nextpl = r(max)

		if `nextpl' == `startpline' {
			local curpolygon = `curpolygon' + 1
			sum polyline if mi(newpolygon), meanonly
			local nextpl = r(min)
			local startpline `nextpl'
		}

		qui count if mi(newpolygon)
		local more = r(N)
	}

	// each new polygon must start with missing lat/lon
	sort newpolygon pline_order obs
	qui expand 2 if one
	sort newpolygon pline_order obs
	qui by newpolygon: replace lat = . if _n == 1
	qui by newpolygon: replace lon = . if _n == 1

	rename newpolygon ext`id0'
	keep `id0' lat lon ext`id0'
	rename lat `lat0'
	rename lon `lon0'

end

use "http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/i/Italy-RegionsCoordinates.dta";, clear

mergepoly _ID _Y _X

line _Y _X, lwidth(vvthin) lcolor(blue) cmissing(n) ///
	aspectratio(1.2) xscale(off) yscale(off) ///
	ylabel(minmax, nogrid)  xlabel(minmax)