re: Re: st: generating a seq() going backwards and forward from a given timepoint?

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re: Re: st: generating a seq() going backwards and forward from a given timepoint?
Date   Fri, 14 Dec 2012 10:03:23 -0500

Thanks, Nick, as always!

I tried running that simple line of code you provided:

gen period = date - mdy(1,1,2012) + 1

but it apparently counts the number of days backwards and forwards from that
initial date (1/1/2012). I actually need to produce an integer at each point
(like I have below called "period").

Thanks again for sharing your wisdom!

Ariel

'------------
From
  Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject
  Re: st: generating a seq() going backwards and forward from a given
timepoint?
Date
  Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:59:06 +0000
-seq()- as an -egen- function is part of official Stata but it has roots in

STB-50  dm70  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Extensions to generate,
extended
        (help egenodd if installed) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J.
Cox
        7/99    pp.9--17; STB Reprints Vol 9, pp.34--45
        24 additional egen functions presented; includes various string,
        data management, and statistical functions;
        many of the egen functions added to Stata 7

STB-37  dm44  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Sequences of
integers
        (help seq if installed) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J.
Cox
        5/97    pp.2--4; STB Reprints Vol 7, pp.32--33
        egen now has seq() function

so its generality and flexibility are a test of my work. (Bizarrely a
fragmentary reference to -seq- survives in the manual entry for
-egen-, but that is scheduled for removal.)

You can specify a negative argument to -from()-, but Ariel wants here
is a starting value that may differ between panels. -from()- must be
supplied with an integer argument, and although you can set it up that
it sees the result of an expression that evaluates to an integer, that
result must be a constant, which as in this problem is likely to be
too inflexible for panels.

So, there is a case for generalising -seq()- to accept more general
expressions, or possibly for adding an -origin()- option. My own
suggestion is that the latter would spoil the simplicity of -seq()-

That said, I would just use

gen period = date - mdy(1,1,2012) + 1

here and I suspect that whenever people have wanted something like
that it has seemed more natural to do it directly than to fire up
-egen-.

-seq()- is a fairly trivial function. It is arguable that its main
feature is to support blocks of equal identifiers, which can be useful
e.g. for ANOVA problems. My recollection is that its origins lie in
wanting to use it and in reading about similar functionality in what
was then just described as S.

Nick