st: generating a seq() going backwards and forward from a given timepoint?

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: generating a seq() going backwards and forward from a given timepoint?
Date   Thu, 13 Dec 2012 22:31:13 -0500

Hi Listers,

This is probably a very simple solution, but I am getting stuck. I'd like to
generate a running sequence going both backwards and forwards from a
specified timepoint. -seq()- is pretty straightforward (pun intended) for
going forward, but I can't seem to figure out the backwards part.

Below I have and data with the "period" variable that I'd like to achieve
via code (I did this manually). For this example, I specified that
01/01/2012 is the starting point and ran the following code:

. display date("01/01/2012", "MDY")
18993

. bys ID: egen period = seq() if date>=18993
(48 missing values generated)

How do I get the backward periods (-1 to -24)? There will be IDs with
varying numbers of periods available, so this must work via bysort ID,
anchored on the same starting date for everyone:

ID	date	period
WC9	01/01/2010	-24
WC9	02/01/2010	-23
WC9	03/01/2010	-22