st: RE: RE: RE: how many d.f. in the vcv for the within estimator?

Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: how many d.f. in the vcv for the within estimator?
Date   Wed, 12 Dec 2012 15:49:47 -0000

Gregorio,

One way to think about it is via the underlying asymptotics in a
large-sample setting.

If you regard the number of individual effects N as fixed and
T->infnity, then you would be right to say that (ignoring the constant)
you could indeed use (N*T-k) = T*[N-k/T] as the degrees of freedom.  If
it's T that is going off to infinity, then asymptotically there's no
difference between this and the textbook N*(T-1)-k = T*[N-1/T-k/T].  In
both cases the 1/T terms disappear as T gets large, and you're left with
N*T.  Or, put another way, the ratio (N*T-k)/[N*(T-1)-k] goes to 1 as
T->infinity.

But if it's N that is going off to infinity, then the number of
individual effects is also going off to infinity.  In that case the two
expressions are not equivalent asymptotically, because N*(T-1)-k will
always be lagging behind N*T-k, even asymptotically.  That is, the ratio
(N*T-k)/[N*(T-1)-k] goes to T/(T-1) as N->infinity.  If T is small, this
ratio will be very different from 1.  So you need to incorporate this in
how the error variance is calculated.

I hope this makes sense.  I get uneasy when I make these hand-wavey
asymptotic arguments....

HTH,
Mark

-----