RE: st: data structure for case control

From   Kieran McCaul <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: data structure for case control
Date   Tue, 11 Dec 2012 09:59:58 +0800

If you already have the data for the cases and the controls, why do you want the match them on age?

Matching is a feature of the design of a study and is carried out as the data are collected.  In other words, matching is done for efficiency. If you already have the data, there is nothing to be gained by matching.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Sacamano, Paul L.
Sent: Tuesday, 11 December 2012 6:33 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: data structure for case control

That is very helpful. Would it be the same for a study matching cases with controls on age frequency distribution? I currently have two files, one of cases and the other controls. I think I need to create an AGECLASS variable in both and then merge them together matching on AGECLASS. I expect there is a Stata command to then pair them together 1 to 2 within each class.
Thanks again.
Paul