st: Extract a string portion of a string

From   thomas bourveau <thomas.bourveau@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Extract a string portion of a string
Date   Sun, 9 Dec 2012 00:23:47 +0100

Dear readers,

you recently helped me to extract a firm's identifier that was located
at the end of a string variable.

I'm still working with this dataset of layoff announcements.

Now, I need to know to which country an annoucement is related.
To do this, I need to identify if a portion of string (namely the name
of a country) appears at any position in the string.

Specifically, I have a summary (10 to 20 words) of a newspaper article.
This is a string variable.

For each country of the dataset, I created a variable equals to 0.

For example, I have a variable called Canada = 0

I want to replace this variable by 1 if the word Canada or Canadian
appears anywhere in my string variable.

Does anyone have any idea on that.

Thanks in advance
Thomas