Re: st: importance of independent variables

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: importance of independent variables
Date   Thu, 6 Dec 2012 06:17:39 -0500

Hi, Abdullah.

I assume that you have a multiple regression model.  In such an
analysis, unless the X's (other than the constant) are uncorrelated,
it is not possible to partition the variance of y into components
explained by the individual X's.  People sometimes calculate the
incremental contribution that each X makes to the overall R^2, but
those contributions depend on the order in which the X's are added to
the model.

David Hoaglin