Re: st: Creating Dummys from a variable with 5 categories

From   daniel klein <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Creating Dummys from a variable with 5 categories
Date   Sun, 2 Dec 2012 11:15:58 +0100

Sharon,

have you read this:http:
www.stata.com/support/faqs/data-management/creating-dummy-variables/

If you decide _not_ to use factor variable notation, the reference in
an anlysis, say a linear regression model, is merely the dummy you do
not include in your model.

Using factor variable notation, type in Stata

help fvvarlist

and read on to learn about setting and changing the reference category.

Best
Daniel

--
Hi

I have a variable with 5 answers and need to make a dummy variable from it

The question asked - How are you charged for your waste:
1. Flat Fee
2. Weight or Volume
3. Frequency
4. Not Charged
5. Dont Know

If I want to create a dummy variable that uses Flat Fee as a reference point

1. How do I create a dummy (I have tried the basic way - gen XXXX =1
replace XXXX=0 if YYYY=>2) but I believe this is incorrect as it
doesnt incorporate all the variables.

2. How do I get Stata 12 to use "Flat Fee" as the reference base point

I am a beginner to statistics so please use simple terminology. Thank You

Sharon