Re: st: use egen functions to get survey weighted means

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: use egen functions to get survey weighted means
Date   Sat, 1 Dec 2012 11:51:39 +0000

Austin has remembered what I had forgotten for the moment. David
Kantor's function cited here subverts -egen-'s lack of support for
weights by allowing them to be supplied as an option. But in general
do not look to -egen- when working with -svy:-.

The original question did not make clear (to me) that Liling wanted
repeated calculation for different groups. In fact the background
given in the second post made much more sense of the first.

This FAQ may indicate some technique.

FAQ     . . Calculating variables containing weighted group summary statistics
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox and S. P. Jenkins
        1/03    I want to calculate a variable containing weighted
                group summary statistics, but I do not want to
                collapse the data and egen does not support weights.
                How can I do this?
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data-management/weighted-group-summary-statistics/

For a single mean left in e(b)

mat b = e(b)
replace <whatever> = b[1,1] if <whatever>

avoids use of -svmat-.