Re: st: Loading long string variables (from SQL) into Stata

From   "Dimitriy V. Masterov" <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Loading long string variables (from SQL) into Stata
Date   Fri, 30 Nov 2012 09:30:35 -0800

Jen,

You can split the long variable into substring using SQL. The function
may have a slightly different name depending what dialect of SQL you
have. For example:

odbc load, exec("select substr(longstringvar,1,240) as s1,
substr(longstringvar,241,480) as s2 from dbname.tablename") clear
dsn("dsn");

If you have lots of these, I don't know of a way to automate the
process of deciding how many pieces there should be. I would do an
initial query to get the length of the varchar variables in SQL. Then
you can maybe automate something if the need arises.

DVM