st: Number of people present by date and time

From   Simon <>
Subject   st: Number of people present by date and time
Date   Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:35:09 +0000

Dear Statalist,

This is quite possible a rather naive question, but for some reason I am

I have data from a clinic. I have the time each patient checks in
(arrdatetime), the time they leave (depdatetime) and the time taken to
first consultation (waittime) in minutes. What I would like to do is
compare the number of people in the clinic for each patient at
arrdatetime with waittime.

So far the best I can come up with is to write a loop, going through
every patients' arrdatetime and counting up those whose arrival and
departure times span this value. But I have rather a lot of data and
this seems terribly inefficient.