Re: st: propensity score matching in 2 stages(if match is not found inside region then match outside)

From   Adam Olszewski <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: propensity score matching in 2 stages(if match is not found inside region then match outside)
Date   Wed, 28 Nov 2012 19:28:39 -0500

I would echo Ariel's expert comments. Additionally, if you find the
issues of common support daunting, you can use procedures such as
optimal matching (-net describe optmatch-) or coarsened exact matching
(-ssc describe cem-) which are alternative approaches that will match
all your cases.
But you should consider what your primary question is: the effect of
natural disaster for children in specific districts (in which case you
would exclude cases from other districts), or the effect of the
disaster on any child in your sample (in which case you could use the
districts as a variable in your PS model and they will get
approximately balanced, though not necessarily in a 1:1
correspondence).
Additionally, to be clear, the 0.25 (or, 0.2 as in the quoted paper)
standard deviation is "supposed" to be a pooled SD of the LOGIT of the
propensity score. [Austin PC. Optimal caliper widths for
propensity-score matching when estimating differences in means and
differences in proportions in observational studies. Pharm Stat 2011;
10: 150-161.]
Best,
Adam Olszewski