Re: st: Re: referring to groups of variables by suffixes

From   Michael Stewart <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: referring to groups of variables by suffixes
Date   Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:34:59 -0500

Thank you very much nick and steve
MIke

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 8:09 AM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> This is undoubtedly good advice. It is one of the reasons I used (the
> equivalent of)
>
> ds *_foo
>
> in my own post. Then you can see what your wildcard has caught.
>
> Nick
>
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Steve Nakoneshny <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Mike,
>>
>> All you need is to use the wildcard as a prefix.
>>
>> drop *_foo
>> drop *_bar
>>
>> This will -drop- all vars with _foo or _bar as terminal. If it so happened that you wanted to drop a var or series of vars with _foo in the middle, you would need to add another wildcard to the end of the -drop- command:
>>
>> drop *_foo*
>>
>> Be very careful using this technique as it is indiscriminate and you may end up dropping vars unintentionally because of a shared nomenclature.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> Sent via carrier pigeon
>>
>> On 2012-11-28, at 5:49 AM, "Michael Stewart" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Statalist reader,
>>>
>>> I am working with a large dataset (approx 600 variables) with
>>> different names but some of them end in similar manner
>>>
>>> Eg:
>>> procedure__11_procedure_code___i
>>> procedure__11_procedure_date
>>> procedure__11_procedure_or_ind
>>> procedure__11_procedure_tissue_t
>>> procedure__11_procedure_type
>>> procedure__12_procedure_abnormal
>>> procedure__12_procedure_code_icd
>>> procedure__12_procedure_date
>>> procedure__12_procedure_ep_no
>>> procedure__12_procedure_location
>>> procedure__12_procedure_or_ind
>>> procedure__12_procedure_physicia
>>> procedure__12_procedure_tissue_t
>>> procedure__12_procedure_type
>>> procedure__12_procedure_type0
>>> procedure__13_procedure_abnormal
>>> procedure__13_procedure_anes_age
>>> procedure__13_procedure_anes_met
>>> procedure__13_procedure_code_icd
>>> procedure__13_procedure_date
>>>
>>> I want to drop variables ending with procedure_tissue_t and
>>> procedure_anes_age. Its tedious to do it for large number of
>>> variables.Can you please suggest a shortcut . Is there  a shortcut to
>>> refer to all variables ending with procedure_tissue_t &
>>> procedure_anes_age.I found shortcuts to refer to variables for
>>> prefixes  but not for suffixes so far.

Thank you ,
Yours Sincerely,
Mike.