Re: st: extract string portion

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: extract string portion
Date   Tue, 27 Nov 2012 10:26:50 +0000

You allude to functions -regexm()- etc. There is no -regex- command.
Regular expressions are fine when they are the best tool, but plainer
string functions often work as well or better.

In your examples, naming your variable -myvar-,

gen lastpart = substr(myvar, strpos(myvar, ":") + 1, .)

would extract

after which

replace lastpart = subinstr(lastpart, ")", "", .)

would remove any ")"

What could go wrong with this? Perhaps colons ":" could occur earlier.
In that case

gen lastpart = reverse(myvar)
replace lastpart = substr(lastpart, 1, strpos(lastpart, ":") - 1)
replace lastpart = subinstr(lastpart, ")", "", .)
replace lastpart = reverse(lastpart)

looks for the last colon, etc.