Re: st: collapse and weights

From   Austin Nichols <>
Subject   Re: st: collapse and weights
Date   Mon, 26 Nov 2012 19:23:50 +0100

OP contacted me off-list to say:

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 7:16 PM, Tomáš Houška <> wrote:
> Dear Mr. Nicholson,
> thank you for your help on Stata collapse. But your command is exactly
> what i have tried and what fails to accomplish my goal.
> Lets say you have variables "quantity" and "price", each one has two
> observations, (2,4) and (3,6) respectively. Now my aim is to get two
> new variables, that would say "sum of quantity" and "average price
> weighted by quantity". If you use the command
> --collapse (sum) sum_q=quantity (mean) wavg_price=price [fw=quantity] --
> you get wavg_price = 5 (which is correct; (2*3+4*6)/(2+4)), but for
> sum_q you get "20" => which is the weighted sum (2*2+4*4). the
> "fweight" bracket applies to the sum as well as to the mean. That is
> the problem which I am trying to solve. I would be greatfull for any
> tips on this.
> Regards
> Tomas

Obviously, the OP did not read the two lines of code I posted, nor my
last name, very carefully.

More generally, do you think it is better to repost off-list emails to
the list, or to completely ignore them?  In the past, I have ignored
them as akin to spam, and in clear violation of the Statalist FAQ
guidelines, but I am unsure as to which is a good general rule.