SV: st: exploratory factor analysis with dichotomous and continuous data

From   Frauke Rudolf <>
To   "" <>
Subject   SV: st: exploratory factor analysis with dichotomous and continuous data
Date   Mon, 26 Nov 2012 09:55:41 +0000

Dear jay and Nick,
Thank you for your answers.
One final question: is it possible and does it make sense to do the FA leaving hemoptysis out? Can I the  afterwards assume that it would end in the same group as cough?

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: [] På vegne af JVerkuilen (Gmail)
Sendt: 23. november 2012 03:56
Emne: Re: st: exploratory factor analysis with dichotomous and continuous data

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Frauke Rudolf <> wrote:
> The idea is to do an exploratory data-analysis (followed by a CFA) on 11 clinical variables, some dichotomous and some continuous, to reduce the amount of variables in the score. The only variable having this "structural zero problem" is the one described here. Do I really have to change the plan, or is there another way? Do have to write the article for my PhD and appreciate every help I can get here, since I am quite new to the subject (as you probably already guessed...)>

It turns out a colleague and I have done some research work on IRT and
by extension factor analytic models of data when there is functional
dependence between items.

      Liu, Y. & Verkuilen, J. (in press). Item response modeling of
presence-severity data. Applied Psychological Measurement.

However, the problem that we treated isn't directly analogous so I
can't say that you should be able to adapt what we did in a
straightforward way. I suspect Ying and I would be willing to take a
look at it (with appropriate credit of course) as dealing with the
effect of functional dependence in psychometric models is a research
area I'm active in, and we've had a devil of a time getting datasets,
but of course you may not be able to share it.

The best answer I have at the moment is exactly what Nick already
said: You have to exclude it.