st: Merging data files in .txt format

From   David Ashcraft <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Merging data files in .txt format
Date   Sat, 24 Nov 2012 22:41:48 -0800 (PST)

Hello Statalist,

I have data files saved as .txt with titles bhcfQQYY where QQ is the quarter number and YY is the two digit year. I want to import and merge these files (48 in total) as one data set.When I am using -insheet-  importing all data as one variable (one column multiple rows) I digged it and found the problem as the data is using special character "^" for separating variables for each observation. Although I have solved this problem. But mow my problem is merging of data. Do I have to change each file and then merge or is there any other straight way to do it?

Any help will be highly appreciated,