Re: st: Errors "out of range" for a simple Mata function

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Errors "out of range" for a simple Mata function
Date   Wed, 21 Nov 2012 12:11:27 +0000

That's a helpful update on whether the functions -tokens()- [NB] is needed.

I won't deny myself new features of Stata when they are needed, but I
am happy to be slightly out-of-date in writing whatever I put into the
public domain, so that (in this case) anyone still on Stata 9 or Stata
10 can use a program too -- or even a code fragment.

Christophe's allusion is to -help whatsnew10to11-.

Nick

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Christophe Kolodziejczyk
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Just a minor point on the use of the token() function together with
> st_data() and st_view()  (or even st_store()).
> Token() creates a vector which elements contain the different words of
> a string and is no longer necessary since Stata 11. It may be
> necessary with st_sdata() and st_sview() with Stata 11 though. You can
> write
>
> st_view(X = .,.,varlist) instead.
>
> See help whatsnew for more details
>
> Christophe
>

> 2012/11/20 Nick Cox <[email protected]>:
>> Thanks for the correction. The word "wrong" was itself wrong. I was
>> elevating my personal preference only to use views for data Ithat I
>> won't change to an implication that you can't do it, which was
>> incorrect.
>>
>> Given
>>
>> local macro generate
>> local macro varlist
>> local macro touse
>>
>> as discussed to date in the thread
>>
>> . mata : st_store(., "`generate'", "``touse''", rowsum(st_data(.,
>> tokens("`varlist'"), "``touse''")))
>>
>> is I think a complete solution. However, I'd sympathise with anyone
>> who thought that overvalues conciseness. Also, using Mata as a
>> calculator in this way undermines Ly Tran's major purpose of using the
>> row sum problem as a vehicle for learning Mata.
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 2:01 AM, Christopher Baum <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Ly Tran:
>>>
>>> Nick Cox is correct in pointing out that you need to pass `generate' to your Mata function. But it is not necessary to use st_store() as he suggests. Your Mata code works with one small change:
>>>
>>> capture program drop testsum
>>> program testsum, rclass
>>> syntax varlist(numeric) [if] [in], GENerate(string) [FLOAT]
>>> qui generate `float' `generate' = .
>>> mata: tsum( "`varlist'", "`generate'")
>>> end
>>>
>>> mata
>>> void function tsum (string scalar varlist, string scalar newvar)
>>> {
>>> real matrix X, Z
>>> st_view(X = .,., tokens(varlist))
>>> st_view(Z =., ., newvar)