Re: st: Imputation using ML for a lognormal ordered income variable

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Imputation using ML for a lognormal ordered income variable
Date   Tue, 20 Nov 2012 09:58:42 -0000

Stas makes good points about the steps required for your analysis, including how to fit a distribution to grouped income data, and then how to simulate (multiply impute) values given your estimates.

I would simply add that

(1) you don't have to use a lognormal distribution: there are others out there. Austin Nichols has adapted a number of the -*fit- programs on SSC to handle grouped data. E.g. -findit gbgfit-, -findit dagfit-, -findit smgfit-, and references therein.

(2) Other people have addressed similar issues. See e.g.

Claire Vermaak (2012) Tracking poverty with coarse data: evidence from South Africa. The Journal of Economic Inequality, Volume 10, Issue 2, pp 239-265

R Daniels (2009?), The income distribution with coarsened data, Working Paper 82, University of Cape Town. [Google for it]

Stephen P. Jenkins, Richard V. Burkhauser, Shuaizhang Feng, and Jeff Larrimore (2011). 'Measuring inequality using censored data: a multiple imputation approach', Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A, 174 (1), 63-81.

More generally, have a look at the sections on handling of grouped income data in Measuring Inequality, a book by Frank Cowell.

Stephen
Stephen P. Jenkins <[email protected]>
Professor of Economic and Social Policy
Department of Social Policy